Federal Work Study

The Federal Work Study Program (FWS) is designed to provide jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for education expenses. This federally funded program provides employment opportunities on campus or in nonprofit agencies off-campus, encouraging students to work in organizations that allow them to gain valuable experience that enhances their resume and explores their major field of study.  

The FWS Program is available during the academic year as well as the summer. It currently covers 50 percent of the student worker's salary, with the employer responsible for the remaining 50 percent.

contact financial aid
  • Student Services Suite, 405F
  • Phone: 603-641-4189
  • Fax: 603-641-4125
  • unhm.fa@unh.edu

In order to apply, you must have been awarded Federal Work Study funds as part of your financial aid package. Once you have confirmed this award, follow these steps:

  1. Check Handshake to see all the available work study positions.
  2. Fill out the UNH Manchester Federal Work Study Job Application, and return it to the Financial Aid Office located in the Student Services Suite on the fourth floor, room 405F.
  3. Continue to check Handshake for positions that interest you, and keep in contact with the FWS Coordinator to request that your application be submitted to the employer of your choice.
  4. Once a supervisor has offered you a position, stop by the Financial Aid Office to pick up the FWS Employment Authorization form.
  5. Contact UNH Manchester Human Resources to complete required hiring forms.

You may not begin working until the FWS Employment Authorization process (steps 4 and 5) is complete.

Please note: An award of Federal Work Study is not a guarantee of a job. These positions are competitive, and it is up to you, the student, to be proactive in pursuing employment.

Work Study positions will now be posted on Wildcat Careers

How to log on to Wildcat Careers:
  1. Go to the Wildcat Careers login page, and choose the Student/Alumni type.
  2. Enter your username and password. This is the same information you use to log into Blackboard with.
  3. Start using Wildcat Careers to search for jobs and internships.
How to search for Work Study positions:
  1. Log into your Wildcat Careers account
    • Use your UNH username and password
  2. Go to the Jobs & Internships tab, then click on Wildcat Careers Jobs & Internships
  3. Locate Advanced Search next to the search bar near the top of the page, then select More Filters towards the bottom.
  4. Select Work Study/Student Hourly under the Position Type filter
  5. Enter Manchester in the Location field
  6. Click on position title for more information and for directions on how to apply

The Federal Work Study (FWS) Program is a federally funded aid program designed to provide jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to each student's course of study.

FWS is designed to subsidize a portion of the student's wages. Because of this subsidy, many opportunities are available to organizations that would not otherwise be able to hire students. Currently the FWS program covers 50 percent of the student worker's salary, and the employer is responsible for the remaining 50 percent. Our collaborative relationships with community nonprofit agencies allow us to support agency missions and objectives while also providing jobs to undergraduate and graduate students with financial need.


Benefits to the employer
  • Access to a year-round supply of highly motivated and capable students
  • Short-term student employment commitments provide built-in flexibility
  • Access to potential candidates for permanent positions
  • Expand staffing budgets though FWS subsidized positions
  • Cost-effective solutions to screen, evaluate, train, recruit and hire employees
  • Giving students a chance to earn money for education expenses


The Application Process

Once you have the information you need and have decided to participate in the Federal Work Study Program, you may submit an application package.

  • Complete the FWS Terms of Agreement Form
  • Complete the Commercial Credit Application Form
  • Complete the job request form so your position will appear on the FWS job posting page

If you are a nonprofit off-campus employer and have yet to complete a Terms of Agreement, you may complete the job request and the FWS coordinator will contact you to discuss how your organization may apply. Jobs will not be posted by the FWS Coordinator until employers are approved and submit required documentation.

For more information, contact UNH Manchester’s FWS Program Coordinator at 603-641-4189.